Your Attitude Determines Your Direction

Attitude defined by the Merriam-Webster Dictionary is a feeling or emotion toward a fact or state. A choice that each teacher chooses as they prepare to teach the students each day.

I reflect on the teachers I have had throughout my own education, the education of my own children, and the teachers I have taught along side. The teachers who have made the most impact on the education of all students have been those who have a positive attitude.

It starts at Pre-K and Kinder teachers who welcome the youngest students into the school with happiness and energy everyday, even when they are tired and overwhelmed with the challenge of teaching the students so their foundation is strong, but most importantly that they love school. The students come running into the school with smiles and laughter and ready to learn and experience new sources of excitement. Each grade level has its challenges and struggles to keep the students interested, engaged and most importantly empowered. But I believe it starts with a positive attitude of the teacher. With that positive attitude, the students will learn and progress each year.

As I grew up with my family telling me that if believed I could do it and worked hard enough that I could accomplish anything I set my mind to.  I learned along the way that being positive is an essential part of each lesson learned and shared. Working hard meant I prepared my lessons, studied and knew what and how I needed to change to make the learning better for my students or myself. But the attitude is what kept me moving forward and not letting the challenges push me down.

Teachers are faced with struggles and challenges that are different from every other profession. Teachers teach more than just letters and numbers. Teachers have the influence to impact every child and create learning experiences that empower them to be curious, ask questions, and find answers. Teachers spark the interests of the minds they interact with and make connections through lessons and experiences. A positive attitude leads to success and even learning from mistakes and setbacks. Teachers find ways to keep smiling, encouraging, and moving forward. That positive attitude breaks down barriers, for the students as well as themselves. Their positive attitude determines their direction as an educator, but more importantly the influence and direction of the young minds they encounter each day.

As a leader, I can support the teachers, students, and parents by promoting the learning experiences and sharing the excitement at the campus.  I can encourage the teachers, students, and parents with recognition of the learning and empowering them to grow and be successful.  I can model being positive even during the challenging and crazy days. A leader of the campus with a positive attitude will determine the direction of the school.